Braces are the most common way of moving teeth. They are used to align and straighten teeth and help position them to correct a person’s bite. They are fixed to the teeth for the duration of the treatment.
Braces consist of the following components:
- Brackets - at EDGE Orthodontics we offer silver (stainless steel) and clear ceramic brackets. These are handles which are bonded to the outer surface of the teeth.
- Arch wires – these deliver the pressure required to help move the teeth.
- Ligatures – these tiny rubber rings or fine twisted wires are used to tie the arch wire to each bracket. We offer coloured ligatures for fun customisation.
- Bands – these flat metal rings are cemented around a tooth to provide a stronger support to attach the bracket.
Elastics are rubber bands which are stretched between the upper and lower braces to move teeth. We can obtain the desired tooth movement by placing hooks at appropriate points on the braces. Elastics are most commonly used to pull the top teeth backward and the lower teeth forward to correct a protrusive over-bite.
After all of your treatment is complete and you have the smile you’ve been longing for, it’s important you keep your teeth that way. Retainers are custom-made to help maintain your orthodontic result. At EDGE Orthodontics we have two types:
- Fixed retainers: These are the most popular choice of retainers and consist of thin wires glued to the back of your teeth.
- Removable retainers: Advised to be worn every night while you sleep.
Retainer checks are included in the fee for your EDGE Orthodontics treatment and are carried out for two years following the removal of your appliance. For fixed retainers it is recommended you get regular check-ups and cleans from your dentist.